[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Chat Connecting to Wrong IP

Chat Connecting to Wrong IP

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 21 Apr 2003 02:03 AM (UTC)
Nick, I was making a seperate world for chatstuff today, when I ran into this problem:

#call XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 4050
<CHAT> Calling chat server at 127.0.0.1 port 4050
<CHAT> Session established to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.
<CHAT> Incoming chat call
<CHAT> Accepted call from 127.0.0.1 port 1085
<CHAT> Chat session accepted, user: "Flannel"
<CHAT> Chat session accepted, user: "Flannel"

When I go back to my original work however, I can connect to the IP fine.

So, I have absolutely NO idea on this...

Also, When I try in my second world, to connect to him, while my first world is connected, my second world just connects to my first...

Im lost.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 21 Apr 2003 03:25 AM (UTC)
Are you saying that the IP address you have X'ed out is not your own PC? It is a different PC, not just another world on the same PC?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Mon 21 Apr 2003 03:38 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 21 Apr 2003 03:39 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

OK, found it. See the release notes, which I reproduce the relevant point here:

Quote:

14. Fixed bug where when you did a chat "#call" and your world's IP address was specified as a dotted-decimal number (eg. 123.56.67.89) then the chat call would call the MUD and not the address you specified. What was happening was that if domain-name resolution was not necessary it was using the world's IP address (ie. the MUD address), not the chat server's address.

As a work-around, make the world's IP address something that has to be looked up (eg. mydomain.com, not 127.0.0.1). That will force the chat routine to use domain-name lookup, which will then use the correct address. I had tested going to different PCs, but my world's IP address was a domain name, not a number.

Fixed in 3.39.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Mon 21 Apr 2003 04:36 AM (UTC)
alright, thanks Nick. No, those X's were some other IP (X'd for security).

Any idea why it would do it in one world, and not the other?

Even at the same time, when I would try and request, it would connect to the 127.0.0.1 again. But the original World could connect just fine...

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 21 Apr 2003 05:59 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 20 Nov 2007 04:13 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

World A, which works, has as the MUD IP address a domain name, eg. smaug.org

World B, which doesn't work, has as the MUD IP address a dotted decimal address, eg. 127.0.0.1

That is the difference, the world IP address format.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 21 Apr 2003 06:07 AM (UTC)
Ah, Gotcha. So, you really DID mean the world's IP, I just thought you were confused ;)

Thanks for clearing that up... What would be the name for a self reference? (equivalent to 127.0.0.1?)

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 21 Apr 2003 06:09 AM (UTC)
That was the bug - because I copied and pasted the code, I accidentally left in the world IP address rather than the chat IP address. However once it decided to do domain name resolution, the correct address was there, or it would never have worked for me.

To answer your other question: "localhost"

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

11,523 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]