[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Pre-release build v5.05-pre fails to receive text sometimes

Pre-release build v5.05-pre fails to receive text sometimes

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2 

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #15 on Thu 02 Feb 2017 11:35 PM (UTC)
Looking more closely at the Wireshark packet, it does not agree with the packet debug. I think I have found a bug in the sending routine. Recompiling now.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #16 on Fri 03 Feb 2017 12:13 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 03 Feb 2017 12:21 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

It seems that the sending routine was not 8-bit clean, in particular it failed sending 0x00. For some reason that worked with the older compiler.

The latest pre-release now works with arxmush.org.

In particular, this commit fixed it:

https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/commit/3607fe183afa57bcd73a0

If you are affected by this you can get the pre-release executable from here:

https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/releases/download/latest_commit/MUSHclient.exe

Note that this file has to be copied over MUSHclient.exe in your MUSHclient install directory.

Once version 5.05 (or higher) of MUSHclient is released the fix will be in the official release.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #17 on Fri 03 Feb 2017 12:29 AM (UTC)
Thanks for reporting this BTW. I think I've had a couple of similar reports in the past, where people would send something and it wouldn't be received.

I think the explanation is that once the 0x00 byte gets into the output buffer it effectively terminated the string, so matter what additional things you typed, they were appended after the 0x00, and thus ignored.

In this particular case, the 0x00 was part of the telnet negotiation for the terminal type.

In particular, this packet:

Sent  packet: 8 (16 bytes) at Thursday, February 02, 2017, 3:07:56 PM					
	ÿú..mushclientÿð   ff fa 18 00 6d 75 73 68 63 6c 69 65 6e 74 ff f0

Note the "00" there? It is obvious once you look at it.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #18 on Fri 03 Feb 2017 12:31 AM (UTC)
Patch confirmed. Latest pre-release works as it ought to. :-)

My apologies for getting you guys to dig through such a pre-release specific bug!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #19 on Fri 03 Feb 2017 12:31 AM (UTC)
What threw me out a bit was the bug report "Pre-release build v5.05-pre fails to receive text sometimes" - actually that was a symptom of a missing send - had the username been sent, then the server would have responded with the greeting text.

Hence all the mucking around checking what the problem was with the sending routine.

The fact that the IAC NOP still arrived was a bit of a tip that data was in fact still being received.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #20 on Fri 03 Feb 2017 12:33 AM (UTC)

My apologies for getting you guys to dig through such a pre-release specific bug!

Not at all. It was a genuine bug. Sometimes genuine bugs survive for a while because of idiosyncrasies of memory layout (for example, uninitialized memory).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #21 on Fri 03 Feb 2017 12:52 AM (UTC)
Honestly, I had seen the IAC NOP before I submitted. (You learn to recognise an IAC code after you've implemented a few telnet parsers.)

I wasn't sure if that was sent by the game (I never saw a game send that one before!) or a side-effect from the bug somehow misinterpreting the wrong byte for its telnet state machine, but at the time I was tired and just getting the two packet debugs I did out was all the time I could spend on it.

The IAC NOP was the reason why I wrote 'text' when describing the bug; clearly not everything went lost and I had a feeling the difference was incoming text vs (sub)negotiation stuff. And if everything had gone lost, I figured there would be an outright connection reset at some point. :-)

Thanks very much for the sleuthing!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #22 on Fri 03 Feb 2017 01:10 AM (UTC)
I suspect they send that to keep the connection alive.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

55,367 views.

This is page 2, subject is 2 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2 

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]