[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Will Mush ever have split windows for easy client resizing?

Will Mush ever have split windows for easy client resizing?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Kahenraz   (75 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 17 Sep 2016 02:39 PM (UTC)
Mush currently implements floating windows at absolute coordinates. This works fine at one resolution but doesn't lend itself if you want to resize the client or move it to another monitor of a different resolution.

I notice this when I work on my main monitor at 1920x1080 with a taskbar and then move it to another window at the same resolution but no taskbar. The other monitor, which has additional vertical pixels because it has no taskbar, has a gap at the bottom of the window because of the height difference.

I have a six-monitor setup and would like to move the client to one of the my top-left or top-right monitors which are only 1280x1024 but it's such a hassle to do so as I end up resizing and moving everything around.

Will Mush ever support split windows instead of floating ones for easy client resizing?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 17 Sep 2016 03:35 PM (UTC)
That would take a quite big overhaul of the code.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Sat 17 Sep 2016 08:59 PM (UTC)

Will Mush ever support split windows instead of floating ones for easy client resizing?

Six monitors! Wow! I've only ever used two. :)

I must admit I'm a bit jealous, a flight simulator would look amazing with six monitors around you.

Anyway, I doubt that will be implemented. The client was written in 1995 when monitors were small and you only ever had one. It uses the MFC libraries which means that it isn't particularly easy to change the whole display paradigm.

If it were rewritten, knowing what technology can do today, it would be a different ball game.

You could conceivably try to send messages via (say) UDP from one instance of the client on one monitor to another. Before I did the miniwindows I had some example code that implemented things along those lines.

See this for example: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=4951

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

11,492 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]