[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Capturing characters only after a specific character has appeared.

Capturing characters only after a specific character has appeared.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Wuggly   USA  (112 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 08 Jul 2016 08:01 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 08 Jul 2016 09:14 PM (UTC) by Wuggly

I am currently trying to figure out how to gsub out a bunch of words if a specific character is in that line.

I've found some solutions in other languages, but not Lua and I can't quite figure out how to convert it over.

Here's one of the C# solutions.

string line = line.Substring(A.IndexOf('>') + 1);

And here's my failed attempt.. (although I never actually tested it)

line = string.gsub (line, ">", IndexOf(">") + 1)

Probably needs to be regex, but figured it wouldn't work anyways.

-Extra question since I'm apparently limited to 1 thread, although this probably doesn't need its own thread, and also cannot make anymore replies (Cannot create more threads today): Anyways, when is a plugin too big? Is that possible? I'm just wondering because my plugin has now reached over 6000 lines of code. Will I be able to keep going with it, or will I have to eventually split it up into multiple plugins?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 09 Jul 2016 06:22 AM (UTC)

Anyways, when is a plugin too big?

There is no specific limit. With loads of RAM on computers these days you can probably keep going. I must say that sounds fairly large, however.

Quote:

I am currently trying to figure out how to gsub out a bunch of words if a specific character is in that line.

I don't understand that. What do you mean by "gsub out a bunch of words if a specific character is in that line"? Can you give an example?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 09 Jul 2016 01:01 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 09 Jul 2016 05:19 PM (UTC) by Wuggly

x4444 y255 z1958 > Wuggly says, 'hi'.

So since there is a >, I am wanting to remove the > and everything before it, but keep everything after it.

I have a capture all trigger, and am wanting to be able to accomplish this within the function that trigger uses.

I have considered making another trigger, like * > * putting the second wildcard into a global variable, then when the capture all trigger/function detects the >, I could probably manipulate the line by doing something like line = wildcardglobalvar.

Was hoping there is another way to do this within the function of the capture all trigger that's already in place.

This isn't a big issue, I am just trying to cut down/shave/optimize my code some by doing it this way. Cause if there is a way to accomplish this, I will be able to cut out many other triggers I have.

EDIT: Haha yes, it is quite large, however it is mostly for visual stuff. A good bulk of it is from an interactive new settings menu I built for it, that lets you customize everything you see.
Here's a screenshot, just ignore the description part of the Sidebar Background, really need to go back and change that. But this is with everything open. Each window can be closed, and are animated when closing/opening. With everything closed, all you see is an open button to pull the sidebar out.
http://i.imgur.com/zOufv70.png
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sun 10 Jul 2016 06:29 AM (UTC)

test = "x4444 y255 z1958 > Wuggly says, 'hi'."

foo = string.match (test, ".->(.*)")

print (foo)   -->  Wuggly says, 'hi'.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 10 Jul 2016 07:56 AM (UTC)

Here's a screenshot ...

Wow, MUSHclient scrubs up quite well, eh?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sun 10 Jul 2016 01:50 PM (UTC)
As always, thank you again Nick! You've helped me get through roadblocks time and time again. So very much appreciated!

Just 6 months ago, I didn't know any Lua at all besides the very basic stuff that I learned when I first installed it (which was dec 25th last year) in order to make some aliases.

So that screenshot is proof how much of a help you and fiendish has been.

I hope one day to make a universal version of it so everyone can use it, but I still have a long list of things I plan to add to it before then.

Anyways, thanks again!
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,607 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]