[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  An option to lock (and specify by keyboard) the height of the command input box.
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

An option to lock (and specify by keyboard) the height of the command input box.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by VBMeireles   Brazil  (47 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 11 Jan 2016 09:21 PM (UTC)
I've been told to run this in an immediate window:

SetOption ("auto_resize_command_window", 1)
SetOption ("auto_resize_minimum_lines", 1)
SetOption ("auto_resize_maximum_lines", 1)

It works quite nicely, but it would be awesome if we could just click somewhere (or mark an option) to lock the output/input separator and then be able to freely click and (try to) drag it without moving it.

It would also be awesome if we could specify its height by keyboard, just like it happens when we use the immediate commands above. After all, of what use is a command input that is composed of "fractions" of lines? I'd risk saying (at least almost) everybody tries to achieve an integer number of lines by dragging the separator with the mouse. An option to specify the number of lines (and to have MUSHclient calculate the correct height for us based on input font and size settings) would rock.

Vinícius
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (1,641 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 11 Jan 2016 10:44 PM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 11 Jan 2016 11:10 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

I've been told to run this in an immediate window:

SetOption ("auto_resize_command_window", 1)
SetOption ("auto_resize_minimum_lines", 1)
SetOption ("auto_resize_maximum_lines", 1)

Who told you to run that? And why? It's a bit silly. Given the lack of context, though, you probably want just SetOption("auto_resize_command_window", 0)

Quote:
After all, of what use is a command input that is composed of "fractions" of lines?

Can you show a screenshot of this actually happening?

Quote:
It would also be awesome if we could specify its height by keyboard, just like it happens when we use the immediate commands above.

Anything you can do with the immediate window you can also do with the script prefix on the input line. http://www.gammon.com.au/scripts/doc.php?dialog=IDD_PREFS_P17

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 11 Jan 2016 11:31 PM (UTC)
Putting it simple, I'd like a command input box whose height is going to stay "locked" just like Windows' taskbar.

I can freely drag Windows' taskbar's border up and down to set its "height" to 1, 2, 3 or more "lines" of icons. If I lock the taskbar, however, it will no longer respond to attempts of being dragged. Even the change of the mouse cursor to that icon with two arrows, one up and one down, which indicates a draggable border, is gone.

I'd like the command input box to behave similary when "locked". It won't allow me to mess with it until I unlock it back.

As a plus - I'm a bit OCD - I'd like to be able to tell MUSHclient how many lines I'd like the box to accomodate, with not one unecessary additional pixel. I would type, say, "2" and MUSHclient, knowing that the font face and size I'm using makes letters be, say, 20 pixels tall, would set the command input box height to, say, 46 (40 from two 20 pixel tall lines with a 2 pixel padding between them), and, most importantly, keep it locked that way, not allowing me to change it with my mouse.

Vinícius
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,322 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Tue 12 Jan 2016 02:16 AM (UTC)
If you turn auto-resizing off, then the command bar height stays what you put it at.

I don't know about "locking" it - are you worried you will accidentally click on that little dividing line with the mouse, and then move it somewhere that you don't want?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 12 Jan 2016 08:33 AM (UTC)
are you worried you will accidentally click on that little dividing line with the mouse, and then move it somewhere that you don't want?

Exactly. :)

Vinícius
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 12 Jan 2016 10:32 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 12 Jan 2016 10:33 AM (UTC) by Fiendish

Putting it simple, I'd like a command input box whose height is going to stay "locked" just like Windows' taskbar.

I'd like to be able to tell MUSHclient how many lines I'd like the box to accomodate, with not one unecessary additional pixel. I would type, say, "2" and MUSHclient, knowing that the font face and size I'm using makes letters be, say, 20 pixels tall, would set the command input box height to, say, 46 (40 from two 20 pixel tall lines with a 2 pixel padding between them), and, most importantly, keep it locked that way, not allowing me to change it with my mouse.

This is already the existing behavior. I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for.

Put the bar in auto size mode with
SetOption("auto_resize_command_window", 1)

Make it exactly 2 lines with
SetOption("auto_resize_minimum_lines", 2)
SetOption("auto_resize_maximum_lines", 2)

Type anything in the bar and it will set to 2 lines. Drag it bigger, and then type anything in the bar and it will reset to 2 lines. Drag it smaller, and then type anything in the bar and it will reset to 2 lines.

If you want to do it from the command line, either use the script prefix and the commands directly or set up an alias or an accelerator.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Tue 12 Jan 2016 12:38 PM (UTC)
Type anything in the bar and it will set to 2 lines. Drag it bigger, and then type anything in the bar and it will reset to 2 lines. Drag it smaller, and then type anything in the bar and it will reset to 2 lines.

Quote:
(...) I'd like a command input box whose height is going to stay "locked" (...)

It isn't "locked" if I'm able to drag it. :)

Like I said, the "auto resize" thing works very nicely.

Quote:
It works quite nicely (...)

I'm just suggesting an option to actually "lock" it. By "lock" I mean to make it so its state (the command input bar's height, in this case) cannot be changed (dragged).

Vinícius
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 12 Jan 2016 06:12 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 12 Jan 2016 07:21 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

Quote:

Quote:
(...) I'd like a command input box whose height is going to stay "locked" (...)

It isn't "locked" if I'm able to drag it. :)

Ok, but so what? Type anything and it goes back to the size you set.

Quote:
By "lock" I mean to make it so its state (the command input bar's height, in this case) cannot be changed (dragged).

But why? If it always goes back to the size you set, then the drag doesn't actually affect anything.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,322 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #8 on Tue 12 Jan 2016 11:22 PM (UTC)
In my email program if I accidentally make some part of the screen wider than I want, I just have to put it back. I don't think many programs "lock" GUI elements.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Wed 13 Jan 2016 01:12 AM (UTC)
It might be just me then. I end up dragging the input box a bit quite often when I go click in it (to set focus) in order to start typing. Since none of you experience that and this hasn't been suggested before, maybe it would really be an unnecessary addition after all.

There is also a small issue that I've seen happen at least three times. When I have two worlds open and both use the auto resize trick, sometimes I will (accidentaly) drag the box taller and, upon typing, have MUSHclient drag it back down for me. When I CTRL+TAB to the other world, the other world's input box is suddenly brought higher (to the same height as I accidentaly dragged the previous world's box to). I type something and the auto resize kicks in and does its work. Then as I CTRL+TAB again, in order to go back to the first world, the first world's input box (which had its size "fixed" by autoresize) is bigger once again (with the same height as was set by the initial drag), as if auto resize weren't "saving" the input box size. Then in order to make it "save", I have to first type something for auto resize to "correct" the height, then click the separator, as if I wanted to drag it, but without actually moving the mouse, and only then I can go back to CTRL+TABing and both worlds will show me the input bar at the auto resized/correct size. It seems as if only the mouse dragging/clicking is capable of saving the height of the input box.

MUSHclient would not be any less awesome without this "locking" feature. This was meant to be a very simple and humble suggestion since my ignorant mind thought it was quick and easy to implement (I know, I know, that is blasphemy sometimes, I know a tiny bit of coding). I'm already feeling bad just for making Nick have to read all of this because I know he has way more important things to take care of. :P

TL/DR: Let's pretend I didn't suggest this at all. But it would be nice if autoresize saved across CTRL+TABing of worlds.

Vinícius
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Wed 13 Jan 2016 08:42 PM (UTC)

I end up dragging the input box a bit quite often when I go click in it (to set focus) in order to start typing.

There are two methods of setting the focus to the input bar which you may not be aware of. Neither involves using the mouse.

• Press Tab
  • Press Esc

If you use one of those your problems should just go away. :)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

4,911 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at FutureQuest]