[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Stats on client

Stats on client

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Ardentcrest   (47 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 19 Nov 2014 03:56 PM (UTC)
How do I stop the stat coming up every time a command is typed in
and
how to disable "Would you like RIP, ANSI or no graphic/color support, (R/A/N)? "
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Wed 19 Nov 2014 07:30 PM (UTC)
The "stat" is the prompt line. Players can change that, although they usually like to know how their health is going.

Quote:

how to disable "Would you like RIP, ANSI or no graphic/color support, (R/A/N)? "

Edit the source and get rid of it.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 19 Nov 2014 09:06 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 20 Nov 2014 07:00 AM (UTC) by Ardentcrest

Thanks for the reply Nick. I'm not a programmer or coder Which file must I change to do this.

how can I get a player to be saved when signing up.

also room 10300 Keeps giving me the room is dark.
I type in "redit flags dark" then I can see, but when I reset my server it goes back to dark. can this be fixed.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Thu 20 Nov 2014 05:09 AM (UTC)
If you are not a coder you would need to know how to do compiles:

http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocompile.htm

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Thu 20 Nov 2014 05:10 AM (UTC)

I type in "redit flags dark" then I can see, but when I reset my server it goes back to dark. can this be fixed.

There are steps you have to take for the changes to be written back to the area file. I can't remember what they are exactly.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Thu 20 Nov 2014 07:05 AM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 20 Nov 2014 07:52 AM (UTC) by Ardentcrest

If you are not a coder you would need to know how to do compiles:

http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocompile.htm

I can do that. Its the file name and what needs to be removed. ***** Solved :D

I've found where the play goes from lvl 1 to lvl 2 what do I need to add to make it auto save.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #6 on Thu 20 Nov 2014 08:18 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 20 Nov 2014 08:23 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

I'm not a programmer or coder

So what are you?
This sort of exercise eventually leads to an impasse. You don't have the foundation for understanding what to do. We won't have the desire or patience to make all of the changes for you. Nick is very gracious and accommodating, but you're not demonstrating effort for your own part.

Maybe the first step should be working on changing the mental arrangement from "I'm not a programmer" to "I can try to become a programmer".

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 02:40 PM (UTC)
Thank you Fiendish for your insightful and Helpful post. Thank you for making a newbie Feel welcomed.

As to my last post I had worked out the file and code I need to edit.

I am not a programmer or coder does not mean at 50, I do not have some basic skills at it.

As for not demonstrating effort for my own part.

Quote:
Edit the source and get rid of it
. No file name or line number. I found it and changed it.

2 The compile link was helpful for compiling SMAUG, as I use compilers for doing other programs.

Quote:
There are steps you have to take for the changes to be written back to the area file. I can't remember what they are exactly.
, I found out what was wrong. For the record It was telling me I was in a forest, I changed it to in a room.

I have not looked into auto save yet. But I am looking to see if it is possible to make changes to a area in the area editor while the server is still running and have it update.

Thank you for your patience from this 50 year old Newbie.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 07:39 PM (UTC)

If you are using the Area Editor you must be on an old version of Smaug, as the newer ones use a different file format.

The server reads the area files at startup into memory, there is no way of changing them externally and have them take effect excepting something that some MUDs put in called a "hot reboot". In your case (if you are just playing around) it is probably easier to simply reboot the MUD, that only takes a couple of seconds.

However if you are using commands like redit, you may find my Wiki-style section of the forum helpful:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?wiki=index

For example check out aasign:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?wiki=aassign

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 08:18 PM (UTC)

I'm using 1.4 as that the last one if I remember the Editor works with ( unless you want to update it :D )

It the moment I'm just building so I do reboot, but when it goes online It's a hot boot I might do, then again I just might Shout "server will be down in 10 mins please save your game now"

As for programming I've only really started the last 2 years and that was really php and mysql.

I'm also trying to relearn Z80 :)

Thanks for the links they are now in my bookmarks.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 08:37 PM (UTC)
Honestly, rather than using SMAUG 1.4, you'll be a lot happier with the code using either SMAUGFUSS or a newer codebase like Dawn of Time. FUSS at the very least corrects the vast majority of the issues with the SMAUG codebase that persist in 1.4. Dawn and the other newer codebases have some nice quality of life improvements (built in hotboot, actively supported, GOOD online editors, etc) and will save you a lot of headache trying to solve problems in SMAUG 1.4 that don't exist elsewhere.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 08:46 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 21 Nov 2014 09:00 PM (UTC) by Ardentcrest

Do you know one with a good windows editor or a very good online one. Which do you think is the best.

ps is DOT a mush?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 09:13 PM (UTC)
There are several with good online editors. The only decent offline editor I know anything about is the one here that Nick put together. DoT was, I believe, originally a RP MUD and still has all the roleplay code elements to support such a thing and while it has one of the best online editors I've worked with, it certainly isn't a mush though it probably wouldn't take much tweaking to go that direction with it.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 09:20 PM (UTC)

I'll sitck with 1.4 till Nick Updates the editor to do Fuss

:P :D
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Fri 21 Nov 2014 09:24 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 21 Nov 2014 09:27 PM (UTC) by Meerclar

You're going to run into a LOT of frustrating issues with 1.4 that you won't find elsewhere. Offline area editor is nice but you can do the same thing with textpad, metapad or any other decent notepad alternative. The reduced headache from the cleaner code is enough to move to a newer codebase. It's also worth noting that the 1.9 FUSS package has an online editor already in place and you won't need to reboot the mud to make changes to the areas.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

55,392 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]