[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Plugins
. . -> [Subject]  protecting source code/authorization system for plugins

protecting source code/authorization system for plugins

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Victorious   (89 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 27 Nov 2013 07:06 AM (UTC)
Is it possible to protect the source code of plugins or have some form of authorization system? I've been thinking of selling some complex plugins but haven't found any way of doing it without piracy occuring after the sale of the first copy.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Wed 27 Nov 2013 07:18 AM (UTC)
Philosophically, I am opposed to DRM, and that is written by someone who makes (and tried to make) a living from selling software.

In the end DRM causes more grief to your genuine customers than pirates, who will always manage to find away around whatever scheme you use.

You could conceivably use luac to turn your Lua code into object format, which would make it hard for people to change your code, but wouldn't stop them simply copying it.

All I can suggest is to make a good product, give good support, and ask for payment for it. Experience shows that maybe 1% of users will pay, so if you make something good, you will get some return if enough copies are out there.

One tactic is to sell it, but ask a small price, and explain that support will be ongoing if people pay. If you sell one copy, and 1000 are pirated, then you might with some justification refuse to answer detailed questions about it.

One technique used in various sites is to give away a fair amount, but have a more extensive "members" section where they get better support. Since you will know who you sold copies to, you might give quick and detailed support to such people, and refer others to the FAQ.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Victorious   (89 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Wed 27 Nov 2013 12:05 PM (UTC)
Thanks for the thoughtful replies - if I do this i'm leaning towards not making any DRM.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 27 Nov 2013 11:48 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 27 Nov 2013 11:49 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

Is it possible to protect the source code of plugins or have some form of authorization system?
Everything is possible for someone clever enough, but why do you hate freedom?

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

13,147 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]