[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Startup problems

Startup problems

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Majeh   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 04 Jul 2013 06:02 AM (UTC)
Hello, new to the community myself. I know info is needed for these problems to be solved, so here goes.

Trying to get DBSC 2.5.2 to compile and run without errors.
I browsed here quite a bit before posting, but i cant seem to find my problem.
I'm using cygwin, i had it up and running before, and was able to connect and play.
But cygwin displayed a log/archived error i wanted to go away.
Browsed on here more, found how to make it go away.
Also found how to remove the req-authed thing that was giving me some pains as well.
Now when i do ./startup after i have make clean/make, is just seems to hang and freeze.
I cant connect or anything, so i fear i may have slipped up something somewhere somehow.
Any assistance will be thankful in advance, and forgive me if there is a post about this already.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Fri 05 Jul 2013 12:43 AM (UTC)

• Link to the DBSC code
  • What error (log/archived) messages you got (copy and paste)
  • "It seems to hang or freeze" - can you be more specific? The server window may appear to do nothing, that is normal.
  • What req-authed thing?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Majeh   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Fri 05 Jul 2013 09:20 PM (UTC)
Codebase = http://www.smaugmuds.org/index.php?a=files&s=listcomments&fid=152

Log/archived error =
$ ./startup
ulimit: Command not found.
mv: cannot move `../log/syslog.9' to `../log/archived/1000.log': No such file or directory

Since i posted this, i tried to re-download everything so i can go through step by step as you would instruct me.

The authorize thing was players being required to be authorized by a immortal to keep playing.

Also before i had save issues which i thought was do to the authorize problem, but I would like to disable it anyways probably.

I also seen people posting save issues where it required them to make player/backup files listed a-z, and noted i didn't have those files, so i put them in just in case.
But seeing as i couldn't connect via MUSH client, i couldn't confirm it being fixed by that method, i was connecting to localhost on 9000.

Forgive me, i'm new to this, but very willing to learn as i'm learning coding.
But befor, cygwin after ./startup was used, it would just sit there and do nothing.
I'm new to cygwin, so don't know commands really, but figgured quit would kill/shutdown the cygwin, but it wouldn't do anything.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sun 07 Jul 2013 07:09 AM (UTC)
You can remove the ulimit line from the startup file.

Looks like you need to create a couple of directories.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

12,186 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]