[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Windows too big on Vista

Windows too big on Vista

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Oddgamer   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 21 Jun 2011 07:24 PM (UTC)
I've got my Vista screen set to 1024x768, same as my XP machine, but when I pull up pages like the Trigger page (where you enter triggers) or the New World page, on Vista they are bigger than the screen. I can't even see the 'OK' button!

Is there a solution to this?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 21 Jun 2011 10:14 PM (UTC)
How come? I just resized XP to 1024 x 768 and everthing fits.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 21 Jun 2011 10:24 PM (UTC)
It works fine on my XP machine, too. It's on VISTA where it doesn't work. That was the point. 1024x768 on XP, all good. 1024x768 on Vista, windows too big to see properly.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 22 Jun 2011 12:06 AM (UTC)
I understood what you said, but 1024x768 is the same on any PC, right? However to prove the point I dragged out my old Vista PC, and fired up MUSHclient (version 4.75) and this is what I saw:

As you can see, it all fits.

So you must have some strange configuration, like the start bar on the left or large fonts or something. If you can't resolve it, can you do a screen shot and post it somewhere? Thanks.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Wed 22 Jun 2011 12:11 AM (UTC)
Do you have that computers DPI set to a higher setting perhaps? That causes fonts, measurements and so forth to be calculated in a different size which is usually larger.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 22 Jun 2011 03:01 AM (UTC)

Do you have that computers DPI set to a higher setting perhaps? That causes fonts, measurements and so forth to be calculated in a different size which is usually larger.

I hate Vista. Yes, it was the DPI setting set to large instead of normal. Now it's back and everything is so small I can't read it. *sigh* Time to adjust all the font sizes on things. Thank you for point out this error! It will fix the same problem with bunches of other programs, I expect.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Thu 23 Jun 2011 12:42 AM (UTC)
All versions of Windows have had DPI settings, even in the 9x days. Problem is that the default of 96 DPI has become so much of a standard that developers rarely test with bigger sizes. (Hell, out of my own experience I can say it gets troublesome to resize everything properly in every situation.)

So it's probably not a Vista issue, and more that you or someone else who uses your account uses that DPI setting so they can read text more easily.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,648 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]