[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Compiling the server
. . -> [Subject]  copyover_recover:fopen: No such file or directory

copyover_recover:fopen: No such file or directory

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Mat   (14 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 20 Jan 2011 05:48 PM (UTC)
Hello, first off I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I was unsure as to where to post it.

I've been attempting to compile mud source code, and after sorting through all the build errors I find myself with a strange error no matter which code I'm trying to execute.
After the build, I go to the area folder and type ../src/(executable)

It loads a list of things and then gives me this error.
copyover_recover:fopen: No such file or directory
I've compiled numerous muds by now and they all give me the same error, it seems to be searching for a copyover.data file that is just not there.

I tried creating a blank copyover.data file but that also does not seem to help, it gives me:
<*> The world spins <*>
Segmentation fault

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Mat
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Fri 21 Jan 2011 01:16 AM (UTC)
Which MUD exactly? Can you give a link to where you got the source from?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Fri 21 Jan 2011 03:09 AM (UTC)
As Nick said, the source location will help. You may also just be able to post the copyover_recover function.

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Fri 21 Jan 2011 04:37 AM (UTC)
I got the code from http://www.mudfiles.com/modules.php?name=Downloads
(Click codebases, click Linux)
I tried Age of Heroes, Children of the Night, Seeds of Hate, Godwars 1996, and Utopia Type Final, they all give me the same errors.
I'm currently on Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.
I also have Windows XP (32bit) on a separate partition, so I installed Cygwin and tried the Smaug FUSS code you have here, that didn't give me the same error, but it did say something about IMC2 not being on automatic mode, having to manually connect.
I tried extracting and compiling the other source codes through cygwin but I still got that copyover error, I can post the section of copyover_recover code if you let me know which parts you need.

Sorry if anything sounds somewhat idiotic, I'm rather new to this and theres quite a lack of information on these subjects, atleast where I've been looking.

Appreciate the help guys,
Mat
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Fri 21 Jan 2011 06:39 AM (UTC)
When you run the servers you should use the 'startup' script in the src directory instead of manually executing them. Try booting with it instead.

Offhand I don't know if that will change anything. Are you crashing when you boot or when you try to copyover? The copyover_recover function should not be called during boot, so if it crashes during boot then that tells us something about the error. However, since you said you got the 'The world spins' message that would seem to indicate to me that it crashes when executing the copyover.

I would expect a crash with an empty file. The copyover_recover function requires data be specifically formatted in that file and it is not flexible about its handling.

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Fri 21 Jan 2011 10:04 AM (UTC)

I installed Cygwin and tried the Smaug FUSS code you have here, that didn't give me the same error, but it did say something about IMC2 not being on automatic mode, having to manually connect.

SmaugFUSS is actively maintained and is usually pretty reliable. The message about IMC2 (which you don't actually post) sounds to me like the standard warning message which you can just ignore.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Fri 21 Jan 2011 03:26 PM (UTC)
I hadn't noticed the startup scripts until you mentioned them!
Unfortunately whenever I try to boot up from the startup script it just does nothing.. no message, no error.. just nothing. Could this mean that it successfully booted up without any errors or am I being too hopeful?

I would assume startup might be a fresh boot while the executable tries to continue from the last savepoint during a copyover? I have no clue though.
But yes, the copyover error is during the first boot, strangely enough.

I'm thinking it may just be all the files from that website, I'm going to see if I can't get my hands on code from other sites and see if they give me the same errors.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Fri 21 Jan 2011 08:39 PM (UTC)

Unfortunately whenever I try to boot up from the startup script it just does nothing.. no message, no error.. just nothing. Could this mean that it successfully booted up without any errors or am I being too hopeful?

Yes, actually. I usually have SmaugFUSS running on my Ubuntu PC for testing my client. On the few occasions I have to reboot it I can do this:

nick@bacall:~/smaugfuss/src$ ./startup

Note, no message (the script is actually running on this terminal with the output redirected). Or:

nick@bacall:~/smaugfuss/src$ ./startup &
[1] 11274
nick@bacall:~/smaugfuss/src$

This has "backgrounded" the startup script as process ID 11274.

Or to make sure it stays even if I log out of Ubuntu:

nick@bacall:~/smaugfuss/src$ nohup ./startup &
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to `nohup.out'
[2] 11325
[1]   Done                    ./startup

The "nohup" command (no hang-up) means to keep the process running even if you "hang up" the connection.

Rather than assuming it didn't work, try connecting once you have run the startup script.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Fri 21 Jan 2011 08:41 PM (UTC)
What I do to check if it is running with "ps" (process snapshot). By using the "a" option you look at all processes, and then filtering with grep you narrow down to ones with a particular name. In this case I see two processes, one being the one doing the "ps" and the other being the running server (process 11331).

nick@bacall:~/smaugfuss/src$ ps -waux | grep smaug
nick     11331  0.5  0.9   9892  6312 pts/0    S    07:40   0:00 ../src/smaug 4020
nick     11333  0.0  0.1   3240   796 pts/0    S+   07:42   0:00 grep smaug

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Sat 22 Jan 2011 12:24 AM (UTC)

Thanks for the help,
I should've tried to connect after running startup but I thought it would atleast display a port to connect to if anything, but I managed to find the port using the ps command you showed me (then I figured out it gets setup within the 'startup' file).

Backgrounding the server & making it so it won't shutdown even with a logout will definitely come in handy.

Really do appreciate the help, I wouldn't have been able to figure it out on my own, thanks again.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

24,095 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]