[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Development
. . -> [Subject]  Lua debug DLL
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Lua debug DLL

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,322 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Sun 03 Oct 2010 10:38 PM (UTC)
I have spent most of yesterday debugging some obscure code problems in MUSHclient. I might have saved some time if I had a debug Lua DLL, so I have now made one.

This is available for download from here:

http://www.gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/lua5.1d.zip

Inside is a file lua5.1d.dll - you would need to copy that to where you are testing MUSHclient and rename it as lua5.1.dll (in my case the Windebug directory).

The difference is that LUA_USE_APICHECK is defined, which enables the checking of various parameters during Lua calls. These will assert if out of range.

#define LUA_USE_APICHECK
#if defined(LUA_USE_APICHECK)
#include <assert.h>
#define luai_apicheck(L,o)      { (void)L; assert(o); }
#else
#define luai_apicheck(L,o)      { (void)L; }
#endif

The reason for this is the time spent to debug this issue ...

I was testing doing function callbacks, and to make sure I had a valid function on the Lua stack was doing this:

if (lua_isfunction (L, -1))
    {
    ... call the function ...
    }

Unfortunately this was randomly failing and doing strange things, such as nothing, or calling some unexpected other function.

This function effectively calls lua_type:

#define lua_isfunction(L,n)	(lua_type(L, (n)) == LUA_TFUNCTION)

lua_type is documented to return LUA_TNONE for a non-valid index (that is, an index to an "empty" stack position).

However there is an interesting trap. Consider this:

lua_settop (L, 0);     // no Lua stack

x = lua_type (L, 1);   // returns -1 (LUA_TNONE)
  y = lua_type (L, -1);  // returns random data

It turns out that lua_type (and indeed other functions) expect an "acceptable index" which is:

(index < 0 && abs(index) <= top) ||
(index > 0 && index <= stackspace)

Thus an index of 1 is acceptable (but invalid) however an index of -1 is not acceptable - in the situation where the stack is empty.

The debug build of the lua5.1.dll now asserts - so that in this situation I would have got an assertion to alert me to the fact that the index of -1 was unacceptable if the stack was empty.

The reason the stack was empty in the first place is another story, but that caused the issue I describe.

Since the test for an index of -1 returned random data, sometimes it returned 6 (which indicates a function) and sometimes other things.

So if you are playing with the source, and mucking around with Lua, the debug DLL may save some heartache.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

3,161 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at FutureQuest]