[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Optional "system tray" icon for notifications

Optional "system tray" icon for notifications

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Artel   USA  (65 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 30 Oct 2008 06:24 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 30 Oct 2008 06:32 PM (UTC) by Artel

On the MUD I play, I am allowed to quest once every 30 minutes. As a result, I often idle for those 30 minutes, spending time in another window doing work. I have used to have sound trigger that I would use whenever it was time to quest, but I am increasingly working in places where I generally need to have my laptop on mute.

So, the suggestion is to allow MUSHclient to have a way that would allow alerts in the taskbar notification area (aka system tray.) I should then be able to create a notification with a script method. Clicking on the notification should restore MUSHclient to the foreground.

Edit: The suggestion would probably only work if the MUSHclient tray icon feature was enabled by the user.

Artel.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 30 Oct 2008 08:36 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 30 Oct 2008 08:38 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

As a work-around until such time as this is implemented, if ever, you could do this:

<timers>
  <timer enabled="y" 
      minute="30"  
      send_to="12" >
  <send>

if not windows_utils_loaded then
  assert (package.loadlib ("windows_utils.dll", "luaopen_windows_utils")) ()
  windows_utils_loaded = true
end -- if

assert (windows_utils.shell_execute ("c:/Program Files/MUSHclient/quest_time.txt"))

</send>

</timer>
</timers>

The file "windows_utils.dll" is in this download:

http://www.gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/lua5.1_extras/windows_utils.zip

You might need a bit of adjusting to get the time right (eg. make a one-shot timer from when you complete the last quest).

What this does is simply open a text file (quest_time.txt) which would have in it something like "time to quest again" which would appear on top of whatever you are doing, and is a notification to you. It could of course look more innocent, in case people were looking at your screen. (eg. "The Blithers contract is now ready.").

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Bast   (78 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 24 Feb 2009 01:53 PM (UTC)
I also would like to see this. If the notification is too much, maybe just a function that can make the current tray icon blink. Since I use multiple desktops, it would be nice.

Thanks,
Bast

Bast

Scripts: http://github.com/endavis
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

13,085 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]