[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Problem with Win XP SP2?

Problem with Win XP SP2?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Zeb   (4 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 09 Aug 2004 05:00 AM (UTC)
I just downloaded windows SP2, and now my mushclient freezes up at different times. If I type a command, it enters the command, but nothing happens, then about 15-30 seconds later, it loads everything that has happened in that span., then it is active again, only to 'freeze' up in a little bit.

I never had any sort of problem before I downloaded SP2.

Help!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Mon 09 Aug 2004 05:57 AM (UTC)
I don't think SP2 is offically released yet, because its still being worked on.

Quote:

Aug 2, 2004: Windows XP SP 2 Release Candidate 2 (RC2) Removed from the Web

This signifies the end of the pre-release distribution program in anticipation of the final release of SP2. Windows XP SP2 remains on schedule for release this month.

We recommend that you not install the RC2 version of SP2 on computers that are running the latest security updates. Instead, install the final version of Windows XP SP2 when it becomes available. Installing the RC2 version of SP2 on computers that already have the latest security updates installed can cause incompatibilities. The final release of SP2 will be compatible with all previously installed security updates.

It may be a SP2 problem, not sure. Wait for Nick to reply.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 09 Aug 2004 06:08 AM (UTC)
I have the final version, as it was released to beta testers on Friday.

The public release is this week. tomorrow or Tuesday, I am not sure which.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Mon 09 Aug 2004 06:09 AM (UTC)
Its obviously a problem with SP2. I thought it wasnt 'officially' released yet.

Anyway, SP2 was known to 'break' a lot of programs (even professional ones). So, apparently MC is one of them.

Has to do with "security" features. It'd probably require a relatively decent rewrite of a lot of the functions MC uses. Or at least, from my knowledge of SP2s changes.

I also believe you wont be able to "uninstall" SP2 (primarily because of its revamp of most of the OS). So, you might be stuck with it and it's broken programs.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Mon 09 Aug 2004 06:14 AM (UTC)
You'll have to somehow talk to someone who knows a lot about SP2. The only related issue I've had like this, is my McAfee would freeze MC, when it runs a script, and I'd have to allow the program.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Samson   USA  (683 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Mon 09 Aug 2004 11:12 AM (UTC)
There is one other possibility to consider. I'm not sure if they've gone ahead with it, but there were alot of rumblings awhile back about SP2 turning on the Windows firewall by default. Couldn't hurt to check it.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 09 Aug 2004 06:04 PM (UTC)
You also might want to consider disabling the NX feature (assuming your proccessor is compatable). Since this seems to break things with dynamic compilers.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Mon 09 Aug 2004 11:34 PM (UTC)
I'm using SP2 and it's working fine for me. I did however turn off the internal firewal... I don't know what to say about that.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Posted by godefroi   (17 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Tue 10 Aug 2004 11:48 AM (UTC)
I really doubt that NX is affecting MC, because MC isn't a JIT compiler.

The firewall is certainly not affecting MC, because MC doesn't accept any connections.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Ian Kirker   (30 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Tue 10 Aug 2004 01:54 PM (UTC)
Incidentally, SP2 is being forcefully pushed onto computers (IE: automatically downloaded) after the 16th.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Tue 10 Aug 2004 03:08 PM (UTC)
Hrm..... yet another reason for me never to "upgrade" to XP. What is probably screwing with you is the active scan portion of the patch if you're using any of several antivirus programs that have an active scan function because I've had to fix this "feature" on a number of systems already.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Tue 10 Aug 2004 06:58 PM (UTC)
Hah. Yeah right if Im going to have anything automatically downloaded. Maybe if you still have windows update installed/running, but seriously, who does? "Updating" windows is the biggest source of problems.

Its like a 400mb download, Itd be kind of hard to "force" on everyone. Poor dialup people.

And yeah, I agree with Meerclar, try changing different options, If youve got your own AV turn MSs off (seriously though, if microsoft has all these holes in windows, you think their AV is going to be any better?) and their firewall too. The redundancy is probably an issue. And turn off anything else you dont need. If MC is still causing problems, try turning off things option by option until it works, so we can narrow down what the problem is and help other people fix it when the issue comes up.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Tue 10 Aug 2004 10:35 PM (UTC)

Lets try not to turn this into a MS flamefest, please. It's not warranted.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Wed 11 Aug 2004 02:07 AM (UTC)
Incidently, it's not being forced on anyone. The only update that was a required download was SR1 for office 2000, but even then you didn't have to install it if you were ok with missing later updates.

SP2 will be on windows update around then (the 16th) and automatic updates will pick it up, so a lot of people will have it automatically installed, but it's hardly forced.

The entire 266mb won't be downloaded on Windows update. Windows update will download something similar to a "silent web installer", so it will download only what's necessary in the background, assuming you have it set to automatically install.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Wed 11 Aug 2004 04:49 AM (UTC)
No need for a flamefest at all and no intention of starting one. It's simply a matter of those that have been in the tech field for any large portion of the last 10 years or so know that 99% of all problems with MS products are caused by "upgrades" and "patches" released by MS. The issues with SP2 are simply another step down a well known MS path.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

59,555 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]