[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Registration method for paranoid people?

Registration method for paranoid people?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Brains   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 08 Sep 2003 08:02 AM (UTC)
In short, none of the applications on my system have any real identification information entered into them. I've been dicking around with Zmud 3.x for the longest time, only to finally realize that Zmud 3.x is slow, and Zugg is a jerk. MUSHclient lacks only the "map any key to any macro" feature, but with the CRTL+number pad and the many ALT macro keys, I can make my scripts work without too much hassle while I await the full feature. :) So, I want to quit freeloading and support MUSHclient.
I'd rather not have my full, real name anywhere in my PC or its software, though. Is this something I can do without buying the software, then using a crack/stolen serial number anyway?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Mon 08 Sep 2003 09:15 AM (UTC)

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Brains   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Mon 08 Sep 2003 11:36 PM (UTC)
I could - I wanted to see what the "blessed" way of going about doing that is. After all, the credit card (or other method of payment) belongs to me, not John Doe.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 09 Sep 2003 12:37 AM (UTC)
Yes, but the name displayed has nothing to do with the credit card information... Nick doesn't even see any of the credit card info, and you could say you're me for all it matters... I don't think Nick would object to people wishing to remain anonymous...

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Magnum   Canada  (580 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Tue 09 Sep 2003 08:17 AM (UTC)
My copy of MUSHclient is registered to: Magnum Mushclient

I assure you, my real first name is not Magnum, and my last name sure as hell isn't Mushclient. (I have a legit. registration).

I think I once commented to Nick, I don't like that MUSHclient uses " - Registered to Magnum Mushclient" in the title bar for the program. I know most Trojan-ware has the capability to grab screenshots, and were I ever infected, I wouldn't want someone gathering my real name simply from a screenshot, although that would by a minor worry compared to my actual files. All-in-all, it's a trivial privacy issue, although I would still call it one.

I am concerned with credit card information being stored "out there" in cyberspace, but unfortunately, there isn't much one can do about it, short of making as big a stink as possible to merchants who gather them. In my opinion, they only need to hold the information for as long as their return policy is in effect [on the product purchased], then the information should be destroyed.

Get my plugins here: http://www.magnumsworld.com/muds/

Constantly proving I don't know what I am doing...
Magnum.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Tue 09 Sep 2003 10:44 PM (UTC)
Actually magnum, it is even easier to grab than that. All a program would need to do is scan for open windows and perform: WindowHandle.TitleText or whatever the actually command is, I don't remember at the moment, but you can both read and temporarily set that attribute (until the program resets it). I played around with it a bit myself while testing the viability of one of my own ideas. It would probably be better if the registration name showed up someply like the About screen, but the title bar only said 'Registered'.

Then again, I am not as paranoid as Magnum seems to be. After all, if they managed to put a virus on your system, then they can already do a host of bad things, having your real name is the least of the worries.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 10 Sep 2003 01:57 PM (UTC)
I guess people called "John Smith" are really lucky in that aspect :P

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,990 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Wed 10 Sep 2003 10:54 PM (UTC)

I could - I wanted to see what the "blessed" way of going about doing that is. After all, the credit card (or other method of payment) belongs to me, not John Doe.

I gather you want your real name on the database but not in your own computer screen? Personally it seems to me that - if I were paranoid - I would want it the other way around. However ...

I suggest just registering under a different name - after all, it is not unknown for the name on the credit card to disagree with the name being registered. I am assuming that in those cases the person paying is a friend, relative, employer, or similar. Or, maybe they are using a stolen credit card. Hard to tell from this end. :)

If you want you could register under your assumed name and send me an email (or use the new "support page" system preferably) and just explain that you want it noted on the database that you registered as "John Smith" but you are really "Bill Bloggs", or whatever. Then I can add a note on the database to that effect.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,384 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]